Saturday, February 25, 2012

Process Post: Chicken Licken



I thought it's about time that I post the process I used for this illo. It's my entry to the Tomie dePaola contest. You can see my original post here.


I had a lot of fun with Chicken Licken! 



Here are the antagonists of the story. I really believe this is what my Chihuahua thinks the squirrels are up to. He finds them very suspicious.



Here you can see the grass and bushes, the characters, the squirrels, the trees, & some of the collage. I painted/collaged everything separately, then assembled them in Photoshop.



I painted all of the characters in acrylic. Notice that part of the turkey feathers aren't on here. I found I needed to adjust the layout after I had assembled all of the pieces, so I used paintbrushes and the clone tool in Photoshop to add feathers.


Here's a close up of the trees which I painted on collaged vintage book pages.

The collage you see in the grass was done in Photoshop. I put the collage scan behind the grass, then changed the opacity of the grass layer.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty awesome Laura!
    Great process post. I like seeing the creativity and work behind the final, whether it's paintings, music, quilts, etc. Thanks for sharing!

    Super cute work too. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I really love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. The composition and idea itself are so well done.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...